Broken Ankle – Getting home from Northampton General

As you may have gathered, getting home from Northampton was not as easy as it should have been. I’m not sure where to start this story so you’ll have to keep in mind that when all this was going on I was really rather stressed, and in quite a lot of pain (lack of painkillers).

Firstly, I will just say that my team acted in the best way possible in what was an incredibly stressful situation for everyone involved. The President of the club, Beth, I have thanked multiple times because she was the one doing all the organising for me.

Secondly,  I do not agree with how the union at UEA dealt with the situation in the slightest. I know that we are all adults when we go to University, but I was playing sport for them, and I have paid for insurance with them to keep me safe.

Thirdly, just remember I was stressed, in a lot of pain, was running out of battery and was still dressed in shorts and a playing shirt with no shoes because of how quickly we had left the pitches.

So, Beth contacted the union to tell them what had happened (as per the procedure we were told in our union training) and to ask them how we should react, we asked for a taxi because of the facts that I was on crutches, didn’t have appropriate clothing for a cold November night and also I was lacking in phone battery. While we knew a taxi from Northampton was going to be incredibly expensive, we also knew that the mens team the week before had taken a taxi from the same hospital with no questions asked. When Beth mentioned about the taxi she was told that I should in fact get on a train, or more helpfully, the person she spoke to said she would ‘get on her bike and throw her over my shoulder’. While I understand now that this may have been an attempt at humour, it was not appropriate.

So, all this was being passed around the team with my teammate and housemate Alice point blank refusing that I was going to get on a train (it was in fact two trains and a tube ride through London) and Beth saying that was what the union said. The girls also delayed the bus for me in an attempt for me to travel home with them!

In my kind of slightly delirious state I told a couple of people what the Union were saying, they were not happy and a number of my friends offered to drive to Northampton to pick me up. Again. I love my friends.

After a slightly tense phone call to my mum (well, mum didn’t pick up so first my brother, then my mum) she told me that I wasn’t going to be going home by train and I would be getting a taxi.

So we ordered a taxi and went with it (eventually the Union agreed to pay) and me and Anna jumped in a taxi. After an eventful ride (including my first ever panic attack and a risky stop on a main road for me to get out of the car) we FINALLY arrived home. £180 later, Mum was there to collect me from my Uni house. Alice (lifesaver) had bought all my belongings home (there was a lot) and so nothing of mine was left behind!

When we got back to my mums I collapsed onto the sofa. Mum tried to feed me my favourite food (smoked salmon) and I refused. This was when she knew I was really not OK. I went to bed, completely spaced out on painkillers that Mum had got for me.

I spent the night in my bed, leg propped up on pillows, ready to go to A&E again the next day…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s